Red Robin in Orland Park closed after Carbon Monoxide affects 24 customers
The Orland Fire Protection District treated 24 customers at the Red Robin Restaurant in Orland Park after they reported feeling sick on Friday Nov. 30, 2018. Four of the customers were taken to area hospitals after the OFPD determined that the cause was high levels of carbon monoxide
The Red Robin Restaurant, 15502 S. LaGrange Road in Orland Park remains closed this morning after two dozen customers reported headaches and feeling sick on Friday night while dining at around 7:22 PM, the Orland Fire Protection District reported.
First Responders from the Orland Fire Protection District arrived on scene to find several customers complaining of headaches and testing of the atmosphere there showed high levels of Carbon Monoxide, readings of 400 PPM. OSHA states an enclosed area for work needs to be below 50 PPM. The OFPD uses 35 PPM as a recommendation for residential occupancies. The US Government identifies 70 PPM as being a threat.
The customers and employees were evacuated and firefighters monitored the HVAC units causing the problem and the restaurant was ventilated.
Twenty patients were evaluated by EMS and four were transported to local hospitals, including Silver Cross Hospital in Mokena, Illinois, for further treatment.
Officials of NICOR and the Village of Orland Park Building Department were called in and the restaurant was shut down for the evening. Officials said the restaurant will remain closed pending completion of repairs.
- D230 students win prestigious art awards - January 26, 2023
- Alderman Raymond Lopez would have made a great mayor - January 26, 2023
- Hurley Named Chair of Police and Fire Committee - January 25, 2023