Labor endforsements for Congresswoman Newman in 6th District race grows
Congresswoman Marie Newman announced that she had received endorsements from the United Steelworkers Local 17U, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen Local Division 294, and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen Local Division 815.
“Marie has been with us since day one. When the pandemic shut down the tradeshow industry, Congresswoman Newman tirelessly advocated for our members who lost paychecks and health care coverage. Local 17U thanks Congresswoman Marie Newman for her commitment to workers and working families and we are proud to endorse her for re-election,” said United Steelworkers Local 17U President and Business Agent Anthony DeGrado, III.
“It is a true honor to have so many of my brothers and sisters in organized labor standing with us in this fight,” said Congresswoman Marie Newman.
“Workers and working families in the 6th District deserve a voice in Congress that is entirely committed to them, not corporate special interests. I am proud to stand with the members of USW Local 17U and BLET Local Divisions 294 and 815 to secure better wages and safer working conditions, and to protect the right to organize.”
Congresswoman Marie Newman is a member of the Congressional Labor Caucus and the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. In Congress, she is a committed partner to organized labor, and was proud to pass an amendment to the PRO Act, which ultimately passed the House earlier this Congress, requiring notifications be posted of employees’ rights to organize in their language within the workplace.
These endorsements add to a growing list of organized labor aligning with Congresswoman Marie Newman in the new 6th District Democratic primary. Labor organizations endorsing Congresswoman Marie Newman for re-election include:
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen Division 294
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen Division 815
- United Steelworkers Local 17U
- Teamsters Local 727
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Illinois State Council
- National Nurses United
- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 241
- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 308
- Transportation Communications Union (TCU/IAM)
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) District Lodge 19
- National Conference of Firemen and Oilers (NCFO SEIU 32BJ)
- Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division – IBT
- Iron Workers Local 1
- Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen
- National Association of Letter Carriers Branch 4016
- Transport Workers Union Local 512
- Riggers, Machinery Movers & Machinery Erectors Local 136
- Sprinkler Fitters Local 281 UA
- Orland Township Democratic Organization to honor Former Secretary of State Jesse White on Feb. 23 - February 2, 2023
- How to have a great Middle Eastern meal in Orland Park area - January 31, 2023
- D230 students win prestigious art awards - January 26, 2023