Lightning causes fire at Orland Home; car rollover no serious injuries; chimney fire extinguished
Lightning starts fire in Orland home attic; SUV flips over on 151st Harlem; chimney fire in Orland Home
A lightning strike caused a fire in the attic of an Orland Park home on Sunday at around 5 PM. at 132nd Block of Harvest Crossing in Silo Ridge subdivision, officials of the Orland Fire Protection District reported Monday.
The homeowner smelled smoke minutes after the lightning struck his home and immediately called the Orland Fire Protection District, said Fire Chief Michael Schofield.
OFPD crews entered the home and found light smoke on the second floor of the home and moderate smoke in the attic space. Upon further inspection, several wooden structural members and insulation in the attic were found charred and smoldering.
Fire crews extinguished the smoldering materials to prevent further fire expansion while also trying to minimize water and cosmetic damage to the home.
All smoldering material and debris were removed and the home was turned over to the resident at approximately 18:45 hours.
Car roll-over on 151st street at Harlem Avenue
The Orland Fire Protection District responded to a roll-over car accident at the intersection of 151st and Harlem at around 4:30 PM on Sunday March 26.
OFPD crews arrived to find one car on its roof and a second car with moderate damage. The occupants of the roll-over vehicle had extricated themselves prior to OFPD arrival.
Two motorists were transported to Northwestern-Palos Hospital with minor injuries.
Chimney Fire damages home at 11500 Kingswood Drive
The Orland Fire Protection District responded to a chimney fire in the home located at 11540 Kingswood Drive at 6:30 Sunday on March 26.
The fire was contained to the chimney and was quickly extinguished with no damage to the home.
A thorough inspection to check for fire extension was performed and the home was turned over to the resident at approximately 19:05 hours.
Schofield said that homeowners should regularly have their chimney flue’s cleaned to prevent blockage that can cause a fire, and also to clean the ducts, exhaust tubes and vents on their home dryers.
“These are common causes of fires that can easily be prevented by cleaning the chimneys and dryer exhaust tubes regularly,” said OFPD Fire Chief Michael Schofield.
The drums should also be regularly cleaned to remove lint accumulation, Schofield said.
- Kennedy needs support to get on Kansas ballot - February 24, 2024
- New study reveals which are the most selected lottery numbers - February 23, 2024
- One firefighter injured in Orland Park fire Tuesday morning - February 20, 2024