Orland woman dies in cooking related fire
An 89-year-old Orland Park resident died as a result of a kitchen fire in her home at the 7300 block of Paradise Lane Friday (April 6, 2018) evening around 5 pm, officials of the Orland Fire Protection District confirmed Tuesday. The victim was identified as Margaret Keane.
The Orland Fire District responded to the incident and found a severely burned elderly resident in the kitchen. Paramedics quickly treated the subject and transported her to Palos hospital. The fire was contained to the kitchen of the victim’s apartment.
Fire officials said Mrs. Keane was alone in the home at the time of the fire. Mrs. Keane was transferred from Palos Hospital to the Burn Center at Loyola Hospital, where she passed away, officials said. Firefighters believe that while cooking the victim’s clothing caught fire as she reached over the stove for some cooking utensils.
“Our Firefighters and Paramedics did an outstanding job considering the circumstances,” according to Battalion Chief Cinquepalmi.
The Fire District wants to remind all our residents to take caution when cooking in the home.
“We all take cooking for granted but it can result in tragedies when accidents occur,” Orland Fire Chief Michael Schofield said.
“We always urge residents to refrain from wearing loose clothing which can easily catch fire. Have a fire extinguisher present in the home and nearby. Use safe cooking practices such as never leaving food unattended on the stove.”
For more information visit www.OrlandFire.org.
- Man killed by Metra train in Tinley Park - June 18, 2021
- State Senator Michael E. Hastings announces suspension of bid for Secretary of State - June 18, 2021
- Bingo marks the return of Senior activities at Orland Township - June 18, 2021