ComEd offers contact info in event of wind damage
Utility encourages customers to be safe and report outage information via text or call
ComEd is closely monitoring and preparing for changes in the weather predicted to increase winds that may affect parts of Northern Illinois starting Monday evening and continuing through Tuesday morning. Current forecasts call for sustained winds up to 24 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 45 miles per hour. ComEd has proactively increased crew staffing and is readying equipment to respond quickly in the event of outages.
“We’ve enjoyed a mild autumn but are taking precautions to ensure we are ready for the wind and the dropping temperatures,” said Terence R. Donnelly, executive vice president and chief operating officer, ComEd. “We understand that any time a power outage occurs it is inconvenient. Should there be any impact to our system, our employees work around the clock to get customers restored quickly and safely.”
High winds can cause limbs to break off of trees impacting power lines. Other things to watch for are flying debris and holiday decorations coming loose. Public safety is paramount during storm conditions and ComEd encourages the public to remember to take the following precautions:
- If you encounter a downed power line, immediately call ComEd at 1-800-EDISON1 (1-800-334-7661) or access our website at ComEd.com and report the location. Spanish-speaking customers should call 1-800-95-LUCES (1-800-955-8237).
- Never approach a downed power line. Always assume a power line is energized and extremely dangerous.
- In the event of an outage, please do not approach ComEd crews working to restore power to ask about restoration times. Crews may be working on live electrical equipment and the perimeter of the work zone may be hazardous.
ComEd urges customers to contact the utility immediately if they experience a power outage. Customers can text OUT to 26633 (COMED) to report their outage and receive restoration information, and can follow the company on Twitter @ComEd or on Facebook at Facebook.com/ComEd to stay up to date on the latest ComEd storm restoration information. Customers can also call 1-800 EDISON1 (1-800-334-7661), or report it through the web site at ComEd.com. Spanish-speaking customers should call 1-800-95-LUCES (1-800-955-8237).
ComEd has an interactive outage map on its website, which allows customers to easily find information on the location and size of outages and get estimated power restoration times. Additionally, ComEd has introduced a mobile app for iPhone and Android® smart phones that gives customers the ability to report power outages and manage their accounts.
Commonwealth Edison Company (ComEd) is a unit of Chicago-based Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC), the nation’s leading competitive energy provider, with approximately 10 million customers. ComEd provides service to approximately four million customers across northern Illinois, or 70 percent of the state’s population. For more information visit ComEd.com, and connect with the company on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Nearly $100,000 in funding to local libraries, thanks to Landek support - January 20, 2022
- Casten slams delays in mail delivery - January 20, 2022
- Gov. Pritzker Advances Vision to Rebuild I-80 - January 20, 2022