Chicago Tribune Endorses Sean Casten in Re-Election as he prepares for Woman’s Rights forum
The Chicago Tribune on Thursday October 20, 2022 announced it has endorsed U.S. Congressman Sean Casten (D-IL) in his re-election campaign for the 6th Congressional District.
In the endorsement, the Tribune praised Rep. Casten’s “reasoned, pragmatic approach to governance.”
The Tribune wrote that his opponent’s view on gun control is “straight out of the NRA playbook.”
This endorsement from the Tribune is the first time they have endorsed Congressman Casten over a Republican opponent in his political career.
The Tribune also cited the complaint filed with the Federal Elections Commission that alleges Pekau improperly used funds from his mayoral campaign to support his congressional bid.
“The Chicago Tribune’s endorsement is further proof that Rep. Casten’s anti-choice opponent touts far-right Republican extremism that is too extreme for the people of Illinois,” said Casten for Congress spokesman Trevor Nyland.
“Rep. Casten is proud to have the endorsement – for the first time in a general election- of the Chicago Tribune.”
Also on Friday Oct. 21, 2022 beginning at 9:15 AM CST Casten will be joined by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Host Roundtable Discussion on Women’s Reproductive Freedom.
On Friday, October 21st, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Congressman Sean Casten (IL-06) will host a roundtable discussion on the state of reproductive freedom and women’s health care in Illinois and the need to pass legislation to protect bodily autonomy and the right to choose.
Speaker Pelosi and Rep. Casten will be joined by health care experts, local activists, policy experts, and mental health care professionals.
Following the roundtable discussion, Rep. Casten and Speaker Pelosi will take questions from the press.
Press must RSVP to Jacob.Vurpillat@mail.house.gov.
Attending will be:
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
- U.S. Congressman Sean Casten (IL-06)
- Dr. Mairaj Jaleel, MD Pulmonary-Critical Care Specialist
- Jennifer Welch, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Illinois
- Colleen K. Connell, Executive Director of the ACLU of Illinois
- Dr. Amy Addante, Obstetrician-Gynecologist
- Theresa Burback, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and Certified Family Trauma Professional
- Oren Jacobson, Executive Director of Men for Choice
- Irene Sooah Park, Student, Sex Ed Initiative Founder
- Dr. Maliha Sayla, Obstetrician-Gynecologist
- Dr. Erica Hinz, Obstetrician-Gynecologist
- Tamika Anderson, Director of Maternal Childcare Health at Access Community Health Network
- Deborah DeChinistso, Member of the Founding Mothers
- Is Thanksgiving and Christmas about celebration, or just about the money? - December 1, 2023
- Raymond Lopez, A Democrat Who Delivers, Files for Congress - November 29, 2023
- Treasurer Maria Pappas unveils online tool detailing property tax spending as Dec. 1 tax due date looms - November 28, 2023