Lyons arrests two carjacking suspects who were out on bond for other felony crimes
The Village of Lyons Police Department announced today they have arrested two suspects involved in an attempted carjacking at the 7700 block of 45th Place at around 2 PM on Tuesday November 29, 2022.
A handgun was recovered from the suspects and the victims have positively identified both offenders. One round was fired at the scene but fortunately, no one was injured, Police Chief Tom Herion said.
The suspects fled the scene on foot but were captured and taken into custody. They are identified as Justin R. Lebron Jr., 20, of Cicero, and Cesar G. Lopez, 18, of Waukegan.
Both suspects were charged with Attempt Aggravated Vehicular Hijacking. Lebron was also charged with Reckless Discharge of a Firearm.
Chief Herion said both subjects have extensive criminal histories and should not have been released on bond and allowed back on the streets.
“One offender was out on bond for murder,”Herion said. “The other was wearing an ankle bracelet under house arrest already and charged with Unlawful Use of a Weapon, Firearm. They should never been on the street to commit another crime.”
Village President Christopher Getty praised the police for their fast action.
“Who knows how badly this could have become with these career criminals who were released from other charges and were out on the street?” Getty said.
“I want to thank our police for responding quickly and apprehending the suspects. We are hoping they are not released on bond again, to commit more crimes while awaiting trial.”
The two suspects are from Cicero and Waukegan. The investigation is ongoing and charges are pending Cook County State’s Attorney’s approval.
Please remember, if you see suspicious activity, report it to the Lyons Police Department at (708) 447-1225 or in the case of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Details on charges against the suspects:
Justin R. Lebron Jr. (Cicero Resident) 20 years of age
1. Attempt Aggravated Vehicular Hijacking, 720 ILCS 5/18-4(A) (5). This is a Class X Felony for which 20 years shall be added to the term of imprisonment imposed by the court.
2. Reckless Discharge of a Firearm, 720 ILCS 5/24-1.5 This is a Class 4 Felony
Felony Review said that the trial court A/S/A can add the school related firearm discharge charge at the Grand Jury; that charge is also a Class X Felony
Lebron has two previous arrests and convictions for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm – Defacement of serial number Currently on Electron Monitor Device issued by Cook County – Electronic Monitor was attached to his ankle at time of arrest.
Cesar G. Lopez, (Resident of Waukegan), 18 years of age
1. Attempt Aggravated Vehicular Hijacking, 720 ILCS 5/18-4(A) (5) This is a Class X Felony for which 20 years shall be added to the term of imprisonment imposed by the court.
Lopez is currently on release from Cook County custody for a 2020 Murder charge and is pending trial.
- Do more for senior citizens like we do for illegal aliens - February 3, 2023
- District 230 students receive journalism awards - February 3, 2023
- Sheriff and District 230 honor students for public service hours - February 3, 2023