St. George Church celebrates 25th Anniversary of Weeping Icon miracle
St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church in Chicago’s west suburb of Cicero will hold a special service on Tuesday April 22 to honor the 25th anniversary of the discovery of a weeping icon of the Virgin Mary that has come to be known officially as “The Miraculous Lady of Cicero, Illinois.”
St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church officials will join other clergy, hierarchy and the faithful including Metropolitan Joseph and Bishop Anthony at a celebration of the anniversary to be held on Monday, April 22, at the church, 1220 S. 60th Court in Cicero, Illinois beginning at 7 PM. Officials said they will host a celebration November 14 – 17th, 2019 at the church also.
On April 22, 1994, parishioners witnessed tears shedding from the eyes of The Icon of the Theotokos on the Church’s Iconostasis. His Eminence the late Metropolitan Philip Saliba, who only last month passed away, formally declared the weeping icon a miracle and named it “The Miraculous Icon of Our Lady of Cicero.”
The 25th Anniversary of the Miraculous Weeping Icon of Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Church in Cicero, Illinois, is this Monday, April 22, 2019.
There will be Supplication Prayers to the Virgin Mary following the Bridegroom Service which starts at 7:00 pm this Monday.
SUBSCRIBE TO RAY HANANIA'S COLUMN
The miracle began as just an ordinary day. The congregation was engaged in the traditional Lenten chanting at St. George Church as Father Dahdal was preparing for the Friday evening services. Also visiting at the time was Father Douglas Wyper. Dahdal, Wyper and other parishioners at the church noticed that an Icon of the Virgin Mary had what appeared to be streaks coming from the Icon’s eyes. By the stroke of midnight at the church, the witnesses saw four streams of tears flowing down the icon that continued to the bottom of the icon itself.
In the 20 years since, more than 1 million visitors from around the world have traveled to the community of Cicero, Illinois in the United States, to visit St. George Antiochian Church and to view the Weeping Icon which is on continuous display for public viewing. Many people who came to the church with their ailing family members claimed that they experienced miracles as their family members were healed.
Candlewick Lake & Links Festival scheduled
Candlewick Lake Association
LAKE & LINKS FEST 2019
Sunday, June 2 – 12 Noon until 5:00 PM
Gates open to the Public
Here is last year’s schedule of events
Each year the Lake and Links Festival has a great selection of events. Here are some of the events from last year (We’ll update with the new schedule when it is set)
- Noon: C.U.B.A. Demo in the Pool at the Recreation Center
- Noon – 2:30pm: Espinosa & Coffey perform at the Recreation Center (lakeside)
- 1:00pm: Fishing Clinic at the Recreation Center Fishing Pier sponsored by the Lake Management Commission
- 1:00pm – 4:00pm: Multiple Open Houses throughout the Community Available for Viewing: List of homes and map available upon request from the east & west gates and at the Realtor Tent.
- 2:30pm- 5:00pm: Trinadora Duo performs at the Recreation Center (lakeside)
- Noon – 5:00pm (includes all the listings below):
- Food & Beverages at the Recreation Center (food trucks plus the Lakeview Eatery Restaurant); at Friendship Park (food truck); and at the Savannah Oaks Club House (order from the Club House menu)
- Savannah Oaks Golf Course and Club House activities include a putting contest, pony cart rides, and Ping Pong Ball Drop 50/50 Raffle
- Sean Huguenin and Bernie “Catfish” Miese perform at the Savannah Oaks Club House
- Free Pontoon Boat Rides on the Lake from the Recreation Center (lakeside)
- Kids Fun Fair including Face Painting, Fish Pond, Bean Bag Toss, Bozo Buckets, Sucker Pull, Pluck-a-Duck, (10 cents per game) and a Make-&-Take Craft (50 cents). Located at the Recreation Center (lakeside)
- Craft Show in the Recreation Center
- Large & Small Raffle Ticket Sales at the Recreation Center (lakeside). Raffle ticket costs: Large Raffle $3.00 each or 2 for $5.00 and Small Raffle $1.00 each. Winner need not be present to win, but will need to pick up item(s) no later than Friday, June 15th. Raffle drawing at 5:00pm
- Classic Car Show at Friendship Park
- Various Info Tents at the Recreation Center including: CWL Info Tent, Public Safety Tent, Realtor Tent, Belvidere/Boone County Food Tent (d0nations welcomed), and CWL Flames Tent
SUBSCRIBE TO RAY HANANIA'S COLUMN